After more than a week of punishing Israeli aerial and artillery strikes, Hizb’allah chief Hassan Nasrallah says his group is easily absorbing all that Israel has thrown at it, and continues to successfully control the direction of the current fighting.
In an interview with Al Jazeera, Nasrallah firmly denied Israeli reports that some 50 percent of Hizb’allah’s fighting capabilities have been eliminated by the IDF, and said his group remains as strong as ever and is ready to unleash more "surprises."
"All of the reports of the Israelis, that they struck 50 percent of our capabilities, are not true. They didn’t succeed up to now in hitting anything in this range. Hizb’allah up to now has stood firm, it is succeeding in absorbing the attacks, in returning its own attacks, and it will return more in the future."
He also said Israel had failed miserably in its effort to decapitate the Hizb’allah leadership when it dropped some 20 tons of bombs on a Beirut bunker Wednesday night.
"The Hizbullah leadership wasn’t hit at all – not in yesterday evening’s attack. There was a huge number of planes and they hoped they would hit us but it was wrong."
With its leadership and fighting capabilities intact, Nasrallah suggested it is Hizb’allah that is controlling the direction of this war.
UT — At least 55 Lebanese civilians were killed as Israeli warplanes pounded the capital and countryside, making today the deadliest day in a week of attacks and pushing this country’s civilian death toll to more than 300. Fearful Westerners fled the country in droves.Violence also struck northern Israel, where two children were killed in a rocket attack in the town of Nazareth.
BEIRUT, 19 July (IRIN) – Lebanon’s dream of 2006 as a record year for economic growth has in the space of a week turned into a nightmare. Israeli air strikes have brought its fast-growing economy to an almost complete standstill. With thousands of nationals and foreign workers evacuating, and more than 500,000 internally displaced people, a bleak scenario confronts the country’s workforce. "The direct losses are estimated to be nearly half a billion US dollars," said Jihad Azoor, Lebanon’s Finance Minister. "But we have to read this number carefully because we have no way of assessing the situation fully to get an accurate estimate. And more losses occur by the hour."
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Pentagon has ordered five military ships and thousands of Marines and sailors to help transport U.S. citizens out of Lebanon, a move that could sharply speed up the evacuation as fighting continues.
DAY 7, Time magazine, The ancient city of Tyre, sitting on a promontory built by Alexander the Great, is famed worldwide for its wealth of archeological treasures. Yet in the past week, Tyre, one-time home of the entrepreneurial Phoenician seafaring race, has become a casualty of the dark side of history, a place of fear, destruction and death caught up in the age-old hatreds of the Middle East.
DUBAI, 18 July (IRIN) – Aid from the wealthy countries of the Gulf has poured into Lebanon, where intense Israeli attacks have smashed infrastructure and killed hundreds of civilians over the course of the last week.
DAY 6, By Joel Greenberg, Tribune foreign correspondent, Israeli warplanes continued their onslaught on the Hezbollah stronghold in southern Beirut, reducing apartment buildings to rubble and knocking out power in wide areas. The army said it warned residents of seven villages near the border with Israel to vacate their homes before a heavy assault. Hezbollah militants fired volleys of rockets at Israel’s third-largest city Sunday, killing eight people and wounding more than 20 in the worst single attack in Israel in five days of widening conflict with the Lebanese guerrilla group. Waves of Israeli air strikes across Lebanon killed at least 28 people.
BBC, 17 July 2006, Lebanon’s stock market has closed along with much of the rest of the country’s economy as Israel’s air and sea blockade continues. The government said that damage from Israeli military strikes has already cost its economy about $500m (
AMMAN, Jordan (UPI) — Like the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, the Arab response to the Lebanese-Israeli disproportionate military encounter further demonstrates the widening chasm between the Arabs and their regimes.The joint press conference by Arab League Secretary-General Amr Mousa and United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Mohammad Shaali in Cairo following a meeting of Arab foreign ministers Saturday was testimony to this deep gap.
Day 5, Beirut/Tel Aviv – Israel’s offensive against Lebanon and the Hezbollah guerrilla group threatened to escalate dramatically Sunday when a missile barrage slammed into the port city of Haifa and the Israeli military ordered all Lebanese civilians to leave southern Lebanon. Over 100 Lebanese have been killed, and around 280 wounded, in the approximately 220 attacks, most aerial, that Israel has launched since the offensive began on Wednesday. 


